12.8.08

Don Quixote

The version of Don Quixote that I bought is a formidable Harvard Classics edition which is more than 600 pages of compact writing. I took it on my recent trip to France and Germany and amazingly almost finished it. It turns out that there is good reason why this is such an influential piece of writing. Apparently it's one of the first popular novels out there. I have to admit that it was in fact an enjoyable read and Miguel de Cervantes has very imaginative and timeless observations. I think I'll gradually phase in some good quotes from the book, starting with this one- 
For he that can have good and evil doth choose,
For Ill that betides him, must not patience lose.
-Cervantes
Quite right really. How much more can one read into that than just "if it's your fault, i don't pity you". It's kind of like how Ice Cube could have just been happy with his music career but instead has chosen to put out a new "didn't make it to theatres" comedy-movie every three weeks. It was his choice so I won't lose sleep over that poor, decision! (though he's probably getting paid enough to not care)

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online